Wrap Up 11.17.12

Today is a pretty good day.  I'm sitting here writing my wrap up listening to Air Supply while my kids clean the house.  We have 20 people coming for dinner on Thursday and I've literally called the donation truck to come on Wednesday because I have so much shit I need to get rid of before people arrive.

This week I've been nominated for Circle of Moms Top 25 Book Author Moms.  If you nominated me, thank you.  Circle of Moms is a great place to get my name out and help me sell some books.  You might recall that a few months ago many of you helped me win Circle of Moms Top 25 Funny Moms contest.  I'd love to win this one too.  Would you mind voting for me?  You can vote every day until December 7th.  Don't worry, I'll keep reminding you.  Thanks!!


Top Read Posts This Week:

Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies - Choppy Elfie still holds first place this week.  I'll be shocked if he relinquishes his spot before Christmas.  Have you heard the Elf will a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?  I always knew he had a big head (rimshot)!  I've also heard, but I haven't confirmed yet, that there is a movie with him as well??!!  You know what?  That's great.  Bring on more Elf stuff so that when everyone is sick of him, they'll come and see me.

The Hubs' Memory - The Hubs loves to remember romantic dates that I never went on.

I Would Never Punch the Wimpy Kid - I got to meet the creator of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and make Gomer's dream come true.  Now you see why I don't feel bad that he's cleaning the house while I "play" on the computer.

Happy Birthday to Gomer and Adolpha - My kids celebrated their joint birthday last weekend.  I was so surprised to hear how many of you share a birthday with a family member too!  How cool!

Want to Win My Book for Free?  How About a Kindle Fire? - Nineteen lovely bloggers banded together to give away copies of my book.  Already got my book?  Then how about enter to win the Kindle Fire too?

Book Update:

Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat has managed to hold on as an Amazon bestseller since it's debut last month.  Thank you!!!!!  If you want to get some as gifts for the holidays, now might be the time since Amazon is offering a 4 books for 3 promotion and my book is part of it.

I have so-so news for Nook and Apple and Sony people.  The book is now available on Smashwords, but it's sporadic (of course it is - sigh).  You can find the links here.

There has still been a bit of confusion as to how to get a signed copy.  If you want a signed copy you must order through the PayPal option, not Amazon.  I can't sign the Amazon orders.

Here is my favorite review for this week:

"Oh my goodness! I have read this book 3 times in the past month to relieve stress. It is so funny! Jen says the things that I think, but don't have the guts to say. I love her wit, use of words, and hilarious pictures. It is $8 well spent. I can't think of a better way to laugh about Christmases past and present than this book."

Favorite Comments (and My Replies if Necessary):

I didn't know you even existed, until I saw your book--which I bought, already read & loved--on either Robyn or Paige's blog. I'm now a follower. You're a funny lady!! on Want My Book for Free? How About a Kindle Fire?

I have to tell you the story about why I chose this comment.  When the giveaway went live I went around to a lot of the blogs to leave a comment and I kept seeing this person popping up in all the comments sections of the blogs.  She kept saying something about she never wins anything so she was just going to buy the book.  Murphy's Law says she will now be a randomly drawn winner.

I love that you included more pics - the snowmen cropping up in clumps in the guest bathroom are priceless. on Want My Book for Free? How About a Kindle Fire?

If you liked the sink picture, check out the bath tub!
OK, I just posted my blog about getting my kids to school in my jammies and commenced to write a letter to my kids from their elf (Weird Al McElferson)and stumbled on this ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS post. I don't care that it's a year old-it made me scream laughing, even as I checked "dry ice" off my list to make an elf-sized hot tub with a Barbie pool. Super funny I promised the kids I'd get dressed today, so, later. on Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

I feel kinda bad for all these parents that say they don't have time and don't want to take the time to do something that could be yes, a little silly and yes, takes a little effort. I personally enjoy the look on my kids face when they find our Elf doing something ridiculous. And personally I get a kick out of 'staging' the scene. It's take less than 5 mins to do something creative and less than 3 minutes to clean up. I will admit the whole pillow fight with feathers and switching out clothes is a big over the top. Truly it can be a fun tradition. In the time it took all these parents above to read this blog they could have "moved their elf". By the looks of it and by all these posts all you parents apparently DO have time your just spending it looking all over Facebook, Pinterest or posting comments about how stupid some parents are for creating a fun and EASY tradition that their kids will enjoy and remember forever. My guess is the kids are probably sitting in front of the on Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

Ahhh . . . I was getting complacent with all the love and adoration I've received lately.  It's nice to know that the angry commenters are coming back out of the woodwork.  I always enjoy a good comment about how lazy I am and how my kids are rotting their brains in front of the television while this perfect mom makes ah-may-zing fucking memories for her offspring that she obviously loves more than me.  You what?  Fuck you, lady.  I don't need to make an Elf fish for Goldfish crackers in my toilet just so that they can remember that forever.  
  
Brilliant read just as I was starting to feel peer pressure to do things with Elf :) I shall leave on the shelf then :) on Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

Seriously, I LOVE this. But, isn't the elf's purpose to ENCOURAGE good behaviour? Then WHY would the elf do things to get himself on the naughty list? Clearly that woman is on the wrong medication... And BTW Jen, I think you are my Tina Fey. on Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

Cool Jen! Just cool! Is that an actual picture of Gomer? My daughter is past 6 and a half, I wonder if these may be in her range...? Some of my friends kids adore them. on I Would Never Punch the Wimpy Kid

That is actually Gomer.  I'm loosening up a bit these days with showing the kids.  It was really them on their birthday post too.  Your daughter would like these books a lot.  They're fun and have lots of pictures to keep them engaged.

I will admit that I am not a Wimpy Kid lover. My kids have read some of the books, and pre-ordered the new one from Scholastic book club. Yes, my son is reading. Yes, it's hard to find books he likes. But, frankly, I don't consider Wimpy Kid to be reading, reading, if you know what I mean. It's a gateway book that will hopefully instill the habits of reading, but my son isn't increasing his vocabulary or learning many new reading skills. It's in the category of 'fun' books, like graphic novels, in our house. We read 'fun' books, too, I'm not an ogre. The event sounds fun, and I would totally attend one in my area. But, when people talk about how wonderful these books are, I'm not in agreement. on I Would Never Punch the Wimpy Kid

I actually sort of know what you mean.  Gomer started these books at the end of Kindergarten.  They were his first "big" books he read.  He was able to read them because the pictures helped and he enjoyed the stories.  I wasn't thrilled when he wouldn't "move on" to harder books.  So, I actually sat down and read the books and then I could see why he likes them so much.  They are really funny and enjoyable.  He's in second grade now and he still loves his Wimpy Kid, but he's moved on to harder books and he's reading at a fourth grade level and has a deep love for books.  If the Wimpy Kid is the "gateway" book then I'll take it any day.  I will encourage my kids to read anything they want as long it keeps them reading.  Maybe my blog is a gateway to War and Peace?

I would totally come to your book tour event. I can do you one better, I'll bring the wine with screw tops instead! Cause really, who has time for corks? I suggest maybe a Magic Mike drinking game... maybe a drink for every pelvic thrust, and two drinks for every time Kevin Nash (Tarzan) messes up a step in the back row? on I Would Never Punch the Wimpy Kid

Honestly, what was he doing there?  He grossed me out every time they showed him and he was a horrible dancer!

This is so awesome! Jeff Kinney is such a kind person--when the first movie came out, the school that I worked at at the time won the privilege of having the movie premier at our school. So Jeff Kinney, the two best buds in the movie, the movie producer all came to our school. They turned the gym into a movie theater and had ushers dressed in tuxedos to give the kids bags of popcorn and movie posters, etc. The younger kids got to have an assembly with Jeff Kinney who talked to them about how he got started and drew some things for them. He signed all of the teachers' books who brought them in, as well as kids' books. Hes a lovely person--so glad you all were able to meet him!! on I Would Never Punch the Wimpy Kid

My fiance does this to me ALL-THE-TIME. Him: "Oh, I love that restaurant." Me: "Really? I've never been." Him: "Yes you have - we went there for date-night and then went to the movies." Me: "Nope. Wasn't me." Him: "Yes it was - remember - it was freezing and we had to park really far away so I gave you a piggy-back-ride to the car...??" Me: "Still not me." Him: "C'mon - you remember - we kept feeding each other bites of dessert and the waitstaff was cracking up..." Me: "Stop talking immediately." Tool. on The Hubs' Memory

Teeheehee.  I love "tool."

I don't know which is worse, the hubs mistaking you for his ex girlfriend, or a mother-in-law who used to constantly compare me to the ex girlfriend. Several years ago, on Christmas Eve, she took it upon herself to put the ex girlfriends framed 8 x 10 photo (that was in a box buried in the basement, yes she was nosy and would dig through our stuff every visit) on my mantle. She then announced to all of our guest that "This should have been my daughter-in-law, this should have been the mother of my grandchildren". Yep, I kicked her out of our house the next morning. Put her butt on a plane back to Texas. on The Hubs' Memory

I had an ex-boyfriend buy me flowers with tons of calla lillies in them once because he knew those were my favorite flower and I was having a bad day. Nope - my favorite flower is roses. Calla lillies were his ex's favorite flower. Didn't make my day any better - especially since they still worked together. on The Hubs' Memory

Happy (belated) birthday to your sweet kiddos! My brother and I share a birthday 6 years apart; but the scary part is that my Hubs ALSO shares a birthday with his brother 3 years apart. He thought I was joking when we were dating and I shared that with him. He'd never heard of any other siblings that shared a birthday. :) on Happy Birthday to Gomer and Adolpha

I am 3 years and 3 hours older than my sister. I was born at 9:08 am and her at 12:08 pm on Happy Birthday to Gomer and Adolpha

Whoa.  Pretty amazing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote this:

I didn't know you even existed, until I saw your book--which I bought, already read & loved--on either Robyn or Paige's blog. I'm now a follower. You're a funny lady!! on Want My Book for Free? How About a Kindle Fire?

You said:

Murphy's Law says she will now be a randomly drawn winner.

My husband is an attorney & he says Murphy's law is unconstitutional! Who should I believe?

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Air Supply? For real?

Holly said...

There is an Elf on the Shelf movie. It was on TV last year and I saw the DVD at Hallmark a few weeks ago.

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

80s music is a requirement when going thru years of crap, but today it was old Liz Phair.

I'm pretending I'm having 20 people over for Thanksgiving, really it's 4 beyond my immediate family.

So, I booted the husband and children out, and cleaned. And purged. It's so stark in here, I could start a minimalist blog.

Love the cover of your book, it will happily sit next to my worn copy of Sedaris' Holidays on Ice...

Mrs. Edwards said...

www.lexile.com
This is a legitimate numbering system which assigns a number to books based on difficulty. You would be surprised to see the Lexile level of the Wimpy Kid books...they're higher than you think.

Anonymous said...

I'm stuck on Air Supply...

bel said...

I should have posted this on Gomer & Aldolpha's birthday post but better late than never, right?
One of my dear friends was born on August 29. One year later, her sister was born. And then 21 years later, her youngest sister was born. All natural births. What are the odds? (They have another sister, born in November.)

bel said...

oH! I love your blog, Jen!

One Blonde Brain Cell said...

Air Supply. Lol my parents took us to see them back in the 1980s. I was a teenager. I don't think I've recovered yet. The hairspray didn't help matters b

Delfin Joaquin Paris III said...

Air Supply = fail

/nothing else to say

Kim Furnell said...

Jen, here is the Elf on the Shelf movie. I thought of you the SECOND I saw the ad on tv last night. http://www.amazon.com/The-Elf-the-Shelf-AESDVDS/dp/B005G3VCYY/ref=sr_1_fed0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353329139&sr=8-1&keywords=the+elf+on+the+shelf+movie

Kim Furnell said...

P.S. I cannot say how completely and totally glad that my children are 22 and 18, and I totally missed this whole "elf" thing. They say each generation has it harder raising children, and I couldn't agree more. I would've driven myself nuts trying to have my elf move all around the friggin house between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hell, most years I do good to get the blasted tree up!!!

TNMom said...

Thanks Jen! I will be asking Santa to get my daughter the Whimpy kid books then! :) Devan

Overachieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies

By now we have all heard of the adorable little Elf on the Shelf . Almost everyone I know has one.  Some people even have two!  (Now I'...

Popular Posts